We're glad you decided to take advantage of this challenging, yet rewarding experience as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) volunteer.
Each volunteer must be certified to prepare tax returns. Certification is used to measure the volunteer's understanding of the return preparation process and to successfully assist taxpayers in satisfying their tax responsibilities.
The training material will introduce you to the major components of the VITA tax return preparation process:
- Understanding and applying tax law
- Screening and interviewing taxpayers
- Using references, resources, and tools
- Preparing an accurate return
- Conducting 100% quality reviews
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I start?
- VITA/TCE Central is the one-stop shop for volunteer training. Find access to instructor tools, training, and creating a login to take the certification test.
- Link & Learn Taxes, linking volunteers to quality e-learning solutions, is a web-based learning program that provides online training in tax return preparation. It's a fun, interactive course teaching the basics to accurately prepare tax returns. Use Link & Learn to access all the training courses, the Practice Lab and to take the test. You can pick the time and place for training and testing, available 24 hours a day.
- Practice Lab is a modified version of TaxSlayer, the software used to prepare tax returns during filing season. Use to input practice tax return problems using Publication 4491-W and/or prepare test/retest scenarios using Form 6744. Universal password: TRAINPROWEB (case sensitive)