Earn It. Keep It. Save It. provides free income tax returns and connects people to resources to improve their family's financial stability. This wouldn't be possible without the hundreds of volunteers each year who give in service by preparing thousands of free income tax returns and refer hundreds of people to partnering agencies for services.
- Volunteer opportunities for everyone across the state of Utah
- Volunteer as little as 3 hours per week during January through April
- Training is provided
- Help people keep more of what they earn and bring millions into our local economy
Ways to Volunteer
There are several ways you can volunteer.
Volunteer Tax Preparer
- As an IRS certified Volunteer Tax Preparer at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site here in Utah you will use a professional software to prepare basic tax returns for people who have low- to moderate-incomes in the community. Using an intake and interview process will help you ensure that each tax filer receives all the tax credits they are eligible to receive. During the tax season you will generally volunteer 3 hours per week and will help numerous households. Free training is provided with both classroom and online self-study opportunities.
Greeter and Intake Specialist
- As a Greeter and Intake Specialist volunteer at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site here in Utah your role will to help tax filers feel welcome and ensure that they are well prepared for their tax appointment. You will greet clients and assist them with completing a short survey and an in-take form. In this role it is important to have good people and customer service skills. You may also work with the Site Coordinator to ensure the site runs smoothly and the tax filer has a positive experience. During the tax season you will generally volunteer 3 hours per week. Free training is provided and does not require tax law knowledge or software training.
Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions
So you're thinking about volunteering. Great! Here are some answers for questions you may have:
What skills do I need to be a volunteer?
- A background in tax law is not required. However, it's helpful if you've prepared your own tax return in the past or have some tax knowledge.
- Basic computer skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to research
- Friendly attitude
There are volunteer opportunities for everyone!